Do you have dishes from your childhood that anytime you smell them they just bring back warm and fuzzies? My Mom, Mel, has this chicken enchilada recipe that does exactly that. They are perfect to make ahead and heat later or just throw together for a weeknight meal. PLUS, they are super delicious!
You use rotisserie chicken, 1 medium Vidalia onion, half a stick of butter, 2 four oz cans of chopped green chilies, 4 TB of flour, 1 cup of sour cream, 3 cups of chicken broth, 1.5 cups of mexican cheese, corn tortillas, and tomatoes and cilantro to garnish.
First, shred the rotisserie chicken with a fork.
Next, chop the onion and place it in a large pan with half a stick of butter.
When the onions have started to sweat and become translucent, add four tablespoons of flour and stir until it is combined completely.
After all of the flour is combined, add three cups of the chicken broth. Stir to combine and let the mixture thicken on medium heat for about 10-12 minutes.
While the sauce thickens, it is the perfect time to assemble the tortillas. Fill each tortilla with chicken and cheese and place them in your dish with the seam side down.
Add whatever chicken is leftover to the sauce.
After the remainder of the chicken has been combined with the sauce, add one cup of sour cream.
Then, add the two, four ounce cans of chopped green chilies.
Stir in the green chillies.
Then pour the sauce over the filled tortillas.
There are two options at this point.
1. These are great to make ahead and put in the refrigerator to be baked and served later. If this is the best option, put foil over the enchiladas and refrigerate until they are ready to be baked. Just make sure they are room temperature before being heated.
2. Bake for 20 minutes covered at 350 degrees. Then, remove the foil and cover the top with cheese and bake uncovered for another ten minutes.
Once the cheese is melted, it is ready to be pulled out of the oven.
Next, chop up tomatoes and cilantro to garnish.
Garnish and serve immediately! ENJOY!
3 Cups Rotisserie Chicken
1 Medium Onion
4 TB Butter
4 TB Flour
3 Cups Chicken Broth
1 Cup Sour Cream
2 4oz cans of chopped green chillies
Approx 8 corn tortillas
1 roma tomato
2 TB Fresh Cilantro
1. Wash all of your ingredients.
2. Shred your rotisserie chicken with a fork.
3. Dice your onion and sautee it in a large pan with the butter until translucent.
4. Add the flour and combine thoroughly.
5. Add the chicken broth and let sauce thicken on low to medium heat for 10-12 minutes.
6. While the sauce thickens, make your enchiladas by putting roughly 2 TB of chicken and 1TB of cheese in each shell. Place each filled tortilla seam side down in a 9in x 13in pan.
7. After the sauce has thickened, add the sour cream and green chillies. Stir until combined.
8. Pour sauce over filled pan of enchiladas.
9. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Then, remove foil and cover the top with the remainder of the cheese and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes.
10. Garnish with chopped fresh tomatoes and cilantro.